Skip to main content

Today, You Are Two

If you follow my blog, you will know that we lost my sister seventeen months ago, when my nephew was just seven months old.  Today, he turns two and is a whirlwind of fun and love.  He has forced us all to keep going through some really tough times, as, too, has his big sister.  My sister would be so proud of them both.  I wanted to write a poem to celebrate him - and her continued presence in his life.

Today, You Are Two

Today, you are two.

  I have watched you grow,
   As babies do,
 And marvelled,
  At your perfect, quizzical face,
 At your soft cheeks,
 Dimpling,
  As you smile
  And run away,
   Whenever I stoop
To ask you
For a hug.

Every time,
I catch you and you giggle.
You place your head,
On my shoulder,
For the briefest of moments;
I breathe you in -
A privilege, a delight.

In an instant,
You are off again,
Laughing and whirling;
You show me cars,
Or a train.
You beckon me
To kiss your teddies
And tuck them
Under your blanket.

Perfect little bundle
Of laughter and love!
Heaven’s gift of purest light –
You grow,
Defying the world,
Defying your loss.
An emblem of life
And joy.

For now,
You are immune to the pain
Of all you’ve been through,
Oblivious to the difference
Between your life
And others - 
The path you’ve been destined to walk.
Your scars will be different to ours.

‘Daddy,’
You call, in the night,
When a fleeting dream
Interrupts your peaceful sleep.
Your vocabulary arsenal is growing –
Tractor, dog, come on! –
But one word –
So common to babies –
Is missing.

Mummy.

A word you don’t need,
But one we will make sure that you know.
Grandad shows you photographs,
As he bears you in his arms,
Along the hall way,
Carrying, in you,
A tiny portion of her, too.
Your face lights up,
Reflecting back
Another familiar countenance –
Her flame,
Kept alive,
In you.

Today, you are two.
She, too, would have watched you grow,
As babies do,
And marvelled,
At your perfect, quizzical face,
At your soft cheeks,
Dimpling,
As you smile.
You would have run away,
From her, too,
If she were here,
To stoop
To ask you
For a hug.

She would catch you and you would giggle,
And place your head,
On her shoulder
For the briefest of moments.
And she would breathe you in;
Her privilege, her delight –
Her perfect little bundle
Of laughter and love.

One day,
You will understand.
One day,
You too will carry the burden we carry.
But, for now,
You clap at candles and cake
And we smile
At your quizzical little face
And our cheeks dimple,
In unison with yours –

Laughter-bringer,
Heart-lifter.
Heaven’s gift of purest light,

Perfect, precious bundle,
Of laughter and love.


Comments

  1. Oh my word, so very beautiful and moving. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And sad. And so reminiscent for me. My daughter died when her baby was fifteen months old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgie, that is the most beautiful and poignant poem. Thank you for being brave enough to share it x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Georgie, that is beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very touching and beautifully written. I think your sister would have been extremely proud of her sister too xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday