Skip to main content

Grace

This poem is about God's grace - a challenging theme to capture in words!


Grace

A woman, weeping,

crumpled on the floor,

trapped in the impenetrable prison of her own, imperfect life –

the bars are not steel,

the walls are not high or

covered with brutal barbed wire,

but her prison is real.

Grace, yet undiscovered.

 

A man,

wheeling and dealing in the business world,

making his mark in millions

on the world rich list,

the picture of worldly success,

locks up his multiplex of offices,

slopes home, alone,

to an immaculate, soulless, house, where photos of his family

are all he has left

to remind him

he was once much richer.

Grace, yet unacknowledged.

 

The pensioner,

stopping each evening to pour herself drink after drink,

to numb the pain that pierces

as she caresses the framed photograph.

of her late husband

in her wrinkled hands,

remembering the joys and regrets,

wondering how she’ll go on now he is gone.

Grace, not yet received.

 

A tiny man, up a tree,

a tax collector, despised for decades,

a liar, a swindler, a cheat,

unable to live with himself much longer,

climbs a tree,

a last resort,

to find out once and for all,

if there really is hope,

if there really is grace,

even for such as he.

 

As each loses the fight in the battle to stand alone,

as each looks up,

cries heavenwards in desperation,

‘Are You there? Do You even care?’…

Love breaks in.

 

Grace shatters walls, defences,

battlements, ramparts,

habits and thought patterns,

built up through years of darkness and despair.

 

Zacchaeus come down!

Young woman rise up!

Foolish man, surrender!

Old woman, take my hand!

 

Overflowing, abounding, matchless grace,

God’s free gift,

absolute favour,

loving kindness,

takes each one,

however desperate,

however hopeless,

however many mistakes once made,

sets feet on firm foundations afresh,

reminds

that no-one deserves this gift,

not one,

and yet the gift is given,

over and over,

grace heaped upon grace.

 

Grace that assures that tomorrow is secure,

grace that declares, today is provided for,

grace that whispers, yesterday is forgiven.

Grace that calls us his children,

if we will place our trust in Jesus’ sacrifice.

Grace that gives all we need when things are good

and more when things are tough.

 

Dare we imagine such complete forgiveness?

Can our earth-bound minds begin to picture such grace,

bringing freedom and hope,

now and on and on, forever?

Can we contemplate one more day,

one more hour,

standing feebly alone,

without such overflowing strength and love?

 

It is His to give.

It is ours to receive,

in exchange for a straightforward surrender.

 

Reach out in faith,

Reach out in faith

And take hold of this matchless gift

of God’s amazing grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Facing Hard Things

All of us, at some point in life, will face hard things.   And by hard, I mean life-sapping, crushing, painful-beyond-imagining, hard things.   At times like these, we can look around at others, feeling bitter and angry that life’s cruel lottery has dealt us this hand and others, one that makes much better reading on Facebook.   I faced a hard thing, when my daughter, Grace, was still born at 25 weeks of pregnancy.   The road I’ve walked since has been one of doubt, hesitancy, small steps, more questions, moving forward, moving backwards, moving forward again and getting to a place of fragile healing. I was not naïve enough to think this would be my lifetime supply of ‘hard things’ and sure enough, more have come knocking – pounding down the door, in fact – in recent weeks.   None of the ‘hard things’ are yet my story to tell; they are bound up and interwoven with the lives of others, whose confidence I will not break.   It will suffice to say they are hard, life-stripping, a

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday