Skip to main content

Remembering Grace


Remembering Grace

Five years ago today, I had reached 25 weeks of pregnancy with our second child – a baby sister for Benjamin, then 19 months old. The pregnancy was progressing well so, when I hadn’t felt much movement for 24 hours, I wasn’t panicked as I phoned the doctor to a “quick” check that all was well, just before Christmas. It wasn’t. The doctor found no heartbeat, and, an hour later, at the hospital, a scan confirmed that our baby had died. Three days later, in the early hours of the 27th December, Grace Tennant was stillborn, weighing little over 1lb. As she was born post-24 weeks, she has a birth certificate, a ‘real’ place in history – a small but important thing to us, when we had to register her birth at the town hall a few days later.

To sum up the ensuing days, weeks and months that followed that week is impossible – sadness, anger, despair, questions, mixed with gratitude for the deep love and support of family and friends, which held us together and got us through the early days. Now, as months have turned to years, I can see and reflect on the slow, gentle sense of God drawing me onwards to a more stable place of hope, peace and security, from one where the world had very much come crashing down. Slow, but tangible and real. The “Footprints” poem has become a cliché to many (though do Google it if you’ve never read it!), but is a good reflection of the way that walking this path has felt at times.

I like to commemorate Grace on her birthday in writing - usually a cathartic working through of feelings, for a close and personal audience. This year it feels like the right time to be a bit more public…not sure why…perhaps there is someone walking a similar path (or a very different one, with different griefs and disappointments, even more painful and far-reaching than mine), who will read it and feel afresh that there can be hope and healing for them too, even if it still seems far off.

The first piece is a poem I wrote a year ago. The second is a reflection I wrote this year, as the anniversary began to loom.  It means so much that others commemorate her with me. And endless thanks to those who have walked and continue to walk this path with me. I couldn’t have got this far without you all.


Christmas Baby

A Christmas baby –
not the kind we’d assume would arrive,
full of warmth, life, cuddles, joy,
but stillness; silence.
The cot, painfully empty.
Exiting the delivery suite
with no special delivery.
Empty, hurting, reeling,
wondering how this could ever be redeemed.

Another Christmas baby,
two thousand years before.
Saviour,
God-made-babe,
reaching through time to hold
hurting hearts and hands,
cradling my babe
in his scarred palms,
encircling my pain
in his outstretched arms,
replacing the death of hopes for the future,
with a different future.

My Christmas baby
has meaning
through the other Christmas baby.
My Christmas baby
lives
through the other Christmas baby,
and all he would become,
all he did,
on a cross,
far removed from the joy of his birth.

Remembering my Christmas baby,
but differently now,
knowing that the other Christmas baby,
who became
the perfect, Easter sacrifice,
feels my pain,
heals my pain,
loves me through the darkest valleys of remembrance
and draws me through,
stronger in his strength,
softer through his touch
in my heartbreak.

Christmas baby,
Sinless saviour,
Perfect sacrifice,
when the time comes
and forgetting gives way to remembering –
memories stir,
tears flow,
pain stabs –
remind me of the healing, joy and hope,
shown so powerfully
to all men,
when you became
that Christmas baby,
who holds my Christmas baby
and all she left behind,
in your perfect, healing,
outstretched
hands.

G. Tennant

6th December 2013
Remembering Grace Tennant, 4 years on.

 Reflection
As the season of goodwill and sparkly Christmas decorations comes rapidly upon us, so too does Grace’s ‘birthday’. Each year, in the run-up to both, it feels like two incongruous opposites are in play. Surviving the annual remembrance of her silent birth, demands a little quiet, some withdrawal and a degree of reflection. In other seasons, this could easily be. But, as increasing lists of chores and presents mount, social occasions, friends and family demand greater-than-average efforts at warmth and jollity and church events are, rightly, upbeat and celebratory, it can be hard – so hard – to face Christmas and the memory of our tiny girl, side by side, clamouring equally for our allegiance.

Yet this year, there is a small shift. This year, I can reflect and be even slightly – very, very slightly and tentatively - ‘glad’ Grace ‘happened.’ Not glad for the cuddles I never had and the first words never spoken; not glad for the school dresses and tights I will now never buy (particularly as she would have started school this year – another anniversary silently marked in my mind alone), but glad for the legacy she has left behind.  Experiencing such pain has left me better equipped to stand with others in their pain – to empathise, reach out, reach in. Not to understand it fully – no one can ever claim that of another’s pain – but to notice. To hold and encourage. To pray. To help them remember and point them back again to a God who didn’t cause their pain (we live in a fallen world where pain happens), but who holds them in their pain, can heal their wounds and draw them through it, stronger on the other side.

So, this year, I am grateful for Grace. Her name reflects all of God’s, which helped – and still helps – us through the painful path we walked – and still walk. I will still sit and reflect, late into the night of her birth. I will probably still shed some tears of sadness at the memory of the brokenness of that cold, December night. But I will do so, knowing, more than ever, that God held me as I held her and that He still does, as I hold her memory – and trust with a conviction that increases year on year, that good will – has already – come from this and that He works all things together for good.

G Tennant, 7th Nov 2014
Remembering Grace Tennant, 5 years on
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8 v 28

Comments

  1. Thank you for that. Michelle Price forwarded me your post. She is a dear childhood friend of mine. We just found out on the 26th our 20 week baby will never know breath and life on this earth. We are still waiting on him/her to arrive. Here in the USA we will be issued a birth certificate if over 20 weeks. A blessing to us too... That this is a life acknowledged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. I feel for you so much and I will pray for you. It is a painful path to walk. I know God WILL hold you do close as you do. If you want to talk more, Michelle has my email, or find me on Facebook. I'd be very pleased to hear your story and offer any help I can from afar xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday