Skip to main content

An End and A Beginning


An End and A Beginning

Samuel starts school in three months. The enormity of that statement keeps hitting me like an express train.  At the moment, it still feels a long way away; the rapid flicking of the calendar over into new month after new month, tells a different story.  I have such conflicting emotions about the whole thing.  When Benjamin started school it was different – a new adventure for us and him. He was well and truly ready.  Now, three years on, facing the impending start of “big school” for my smallest boy, carries with it quite different sentiments. It is a turning point, a rubber stamp on a page in my passport, declaring that I am now entering a different and completely foreign land, from which there is no return.

For precisely seven years (Benjamin celebrated his seventh birthday less than a fortnight ago), I have had small children at home. There have been seasons when I have stayed at home with them full time, and seasons where I have worked part time, away from the home.  I have spent time with them both – a lot of time – and time away from them.  I have met the most wonderful friends, done the rounds of baby music, swimming, toddler groups, toddler gym, soft play, the park. I have had wonderful moments where, resisting the urge (mine and theirs) for yet more television, I have baked muffins, got the paints or play dough out, played a board game, attempted (usually unsuccessfully!) a craft activity of some description or bounced on the trampoline, one or both of them giggling around me. I will miss these moments.

This week, as an example, has unfolded as follows: Monday, food shopping  (“Mummy I need some pens to write a list on the way…We don’t need your list, I’ve written one!”).  Tuesday, soft play and chips at the seaside with friends (“I want the big bowl, not the small one you’ve put chips in for me!”).  Wednesday, Bouncies Toddler Group, after a brief run to Sainsbury’s for emergency shorts-buying for the run of warmer weather (“I’m going to try them all on when we get home!” – he did!).  Thursday was work, school and pre-school, everyone away from everyone else for a time.  Friday, paddling-pool-buying, with eyes shining as he took his ticket to the counter in Argos, then Little Lambs Toddler Group - puzzles , snacks and singing, including “crazy rowing” in “Row, Row, Row Your Boat,” as has become our custom.

So here we are at Friday afternoon, with one at school and one at preschool, leaving me to reflect on the week, and life, and what it will be like all too soon, when this occasional ‘treat’ of time alone will become a daily event.

I will very much miss all of the things I have described.  But for all the beautiful, “Facebook post” moments, there have been a multitude of others that have made some of the days feel long, hard and draining.  There’s the out-of-the-ordinary, huge-and-hard-to-deal-with stuff that knocks you off your feet (baby loss, home moves, new jobs, marital disputes, cancer diagnoses for someone you love), all of which are half-faced, half attended to, whilst trying to maintain the right level of love and attention to the needs of the small people in my care.

Then there’s the more ordinary stuff, familiar to so many. Sickness (blessedly infrequent), where you are sleep-deprived, wondering how you will pass the endless hours ahead, stuck on the sofa with a floppy toddler.  Chaos and mess – not just your average kind, but the kind that starts to mess with your head and make you wonder how on earth you will get it all straight and where you will even start. Cold, wet, winter days with lively boys, who you fear will break the sofa or each other if you don’t get them out to run, and soon! Times where the frenetic pace of life makes you want to stop and take a long, hot bath and read a book and actually find a place of rest and peace, but you can’t because someone needs a meal, a drink, a bottom-wipe, a cuddle, an arbitrator in a dispute over a Lego figure.

I am looking forward to being able to think, pray, reflect, write, chat and do years of overdue chores, without interruption or guilt.  I am looking forward to time where (on non-work days) I can arrange my days around my own plans, not those of a four-year-old.  I will treasure newly-found peace-filled moments.  Yet, for quite some time, I imagine, the house will resound, between the hours of nine and three, with distant echoes of the demands, requests, jokes, and laughter of a little person who has been my constant companion for so long.  I will miss his grin, his giggle and his stroppiness. I will probably shed some tears the first time I drop him at school in his new uniform, and walk back home, alone, without him chattering and holding my hand.

I read recently that “the days are long but the years are short.”  I can’t think of anything more true right now.  So, for the final few weeks of having a pre-schooler in the house, I will be making memories, enjoying the chaos, breathing in each moment and storing it in my soul.  And, when September comes, I will hold the happy memories tightly, let the regrets fly free and embrace a new season and all the freshness and adventure it holds.

And, at 3:15 each day, at weekends and throughout every holiday, let the chaos of baking, craft, trampolining, board games, Lego and laughter recommence!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday