Skip to main content

Grace was born six years ago today.  I still find her 'birthday' hard to face. I think about her (and the whole experience I had with her) a lot in December. It's hard not to. Last week the words of the very well known Psalm 23 popped into my head, followed by some thoughts about them, which I scribbled down. I haven't edited them much, so it's not polished writing - just my thoughts.

Thank you to anyone who takes time to read my writing and think about her and remember her. It still means a lot.

A Thought

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me." Psalm 23

This is that. This is what this week is - the valley of the shadow of death. This week, where everything that happened that week, six years ago is relived in High Definition in my mind. The build-up - the happy bit where I was the pregnant mum of a toddler, enjoying a fairly typical run up to Christmas - a Santa visit, lunch with friends, last minute purchasing of cheese (funny the details that stick). Then the interim bit where I began to worry, wonder, make phone calls - but still hoped. Then the rest where the world crashed in and life was, to say the least, frightening and unrecognisable for a time.

So many hours, days, weeks, months and now years have flown by since then, but each year, in December, I find myself back there, facing that week like a hapless time traveller who finds themselves returning again and again to the very thing they would rather not have seen once, never mind over and over on an HD loop, whenever the earth spins and deposits us again into another December.

Yet here is the key; "I walk through the valley of the shadow of death," - death and all it's stabbing pain and longing touched my life. I held it and cradled it and looked into eyes that had been closed by it, before they could look even once upon me. And each year I walk that valley again, unable to pull myself away from the grief and sadness that valley holds.

But here is the next bit - "I will fear no evil for You are with me." As His hand held and guided me back then (however much I doubted it), it holds and guides me still. As I walk through a subtly differently-tinted valley each time, each year at a slightly greater remove from the original, He is with me. I cannot navigate it on my own, but I'm not supposed to. His rod and staff they comfort me. He guides and leads, through songs, words from the Bible, kindness, wisdom and fresh insight from people placed in my path, hugs and tears shed.

It is the valley of the shadow of death, but death itself has no power - not the original death, six years ago or the thousand fresh versions of it, the repercussions of it, I have faced since and still face. It is only a shadow, for in Him and all He has done for us, it is defeated, finished forever, leaving only light and hope.

So every time I feel the coldness and darkness of the shadow looming over my December, my Christmas, I will lean with all my might into His glorious light, waiting for the warmth of his presence and love to dispel that darkness again, until a more hope-filled and beautiful day, when I'll meet her again and there will finally be no shadow at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday