Skip to main content

The Mother Heart of God?!

Recently, I had an amusing conversation with a friend. Discussing the forthcoming Mothers' Day service and some of the recent controversy surrounding William Young's portrayal of God as a woman in his hit novel, 'The Shack', we began to wonder how it would sound if some well-known lyrics were changed to reflect this strange and unfamiliar idea. Suffice to say, the results were amusing (think 'Father God I Wonder', 'Good, Good Father,' and a few others thrown in)!

It sounds so funny because we're so used to reflecting on God as Father - rightly because that's what He is! But any brief look into Old Testament descriptions of God's characteristics, reveals some clear,  motherly features too - logically if you think about it because he created man AND woman in His image!

Of course, whenever we try to generalise about any particular role, it is hard to avoid stereotyping - what may be true of one Mother may actually be true of another Father, depending on their personality and giftings -  but there are, I think you would agree, some things that are generally more characteristic of Mums than they are of Dads.

Like all good writers, I decided to conduct some research, close to home, by asking the best authority I know on this topic - my two sons! I would like to say I got something sensible and insightful out of them, but in their mind, Mummy's skills extend to 'cooking nice dinners' and Daddy's to 'being very slightly more fun than Mummy,' (the qualifying description added only to spare my feelings, I suspect)!

Casting my own mind back, as I pondered the topic, a couple of memories played in my head that illustrated, for me, the difference between the roles. Mothers can be good at anticipating the needs of their brood and planning ahead. I, for instance, will have clothes sorted out, ironed and laid out, the night before an early start, for a stress-free morning. I will never forget one occasion when, after a hectic weekend, my kind husband allowed me to go on ahead to the early prayer meeting, arriving later with the boys, one of whom was wearing his crumpled jumper inside out and back to front!

Mothers like to keep things calm and orderly, foreseeing dire consequences if things unravel - like keeping quiet, calm and peace in the run up to bed time. Imagine my horror when my dear husband decided to 'hurry' the boys to bed one night by shooting them with foam bullets from a toy Nerf gun - and wondered why they wouldn't settle! 

Mums and Dads are different and have different value and beauty in God's world. God's motherly qualities are as vital to us as His Fatherly ones. In the Old Testament, Isaiah tells us that He "gently leads those that have young," and that He comforts people "as one whom his mother comforts." Zephaniah sees Him "quieting us with his love," and Matthew, in the New Testament, writes of God "gathering (us), like a hen with chicks."

Mothers' Day is always a tricky one; you may have never had a mother, or had one once, but no longer. You may have longed to be a Mother, or been one once, but lost what you held so dear. On Mothers' Day, and every day, God  (the ultimate Father AND Mother), can fill all those gaps and heal all those hurts. He can take the joys and delights and the tears and pain, draw you close and comfort you, calm you and lead you forward with His tender, Motherly love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Facing Hard Things

All of us, at some point in life, will face hard things.   And by hard, I mean life-sapping, crushing, painful-beyond-imagining, hard things.   At times like these, we can look around at others, feeling bitter and angry that life’s cruel lottery has dealt us this hand and others, one that makes much better reading on Facebook.   I faced a hard thing, when my daughter, Grace, was still born at 25 weeks of pregnancy.   The road I’ve walked since has been one of doubt, hesitancy, small steps, more questions, moving forward, moving backwards, moving forward again and getting to a place of fragile healing. I was not naïve enough to think this would be my lifetime supply of ‘hard things’ and sure enough, more have come knocking – pounding down the door, in fact – in recent weeks.   None of the ‘hard things’ are yet my story to tell; they are bound up and interwoven with the lives of others, whose confidence I will not break.   It will suffice to say they are hard, life-stripping, a