Skip to main content

"It's Nothing in the Great Scheme of Things"

Recently, I have noticed a growing trend amongst my friends. I keep hearing a phrase that I would happily recommend for a "phrases which should be banned" list (along with "God won't give you more than you can bear," but that's a whole blog post for another day): "It's nothing in the great scheme of things." I can't disagree that this can sometimes be true; I wouldn’t send it to ‘Room 101’ permanently. For example, on a Sunday afternoon, when washing-up is sprawled across my kitchen and I lament the golden days of dishwasher ownership, now I no longer have one, I concede that this phrase may be relevant.

However, I remain firm in my conviction that we should use the phrase with care.  Let me explain. Within the space of a few weeks, my friends have, collectively, used it for the following: a painful argument with a parent; a difficult breakup; feeling a bit lost and without purpose; missing a close relative who is stuck, visa-less overseas; feeling stressed about job pressures; and feeling overwhelmed by squabbling siblings. All of them felt bad for 'moaning,' concluding that their issues were nothing compared to what others were going through.  I know what they were getting at. I appreciate their sentiments. I am currently walking through a "Painful Thing," with capital letters. They were trying to be sensitive, sympathetic - not trivialising my pain by comparing it to theirs, even by subtle implication.

But I've been there – I think we all have. I've been the one sniffling through the Sunday worship because getting the children ready for church doesn’t match the claim of the song lyrics that Sunday mornings are “easy.” I have felt flattened because Ofsted have descended on my school. I've cancelled on a night out because I'm just plain exhausted from one more bedtime battle with my six-year-old. I have felt like the most hopeless human in history, for crumpling under those things whilst others were facing cancer, unemployment and relationship breakdowns. But those things mattered to me, were rocking my world and I needed time with God and others to face them, work through them, overcome them. I'm grateful for the people in my life who acknowledged the things causing me emotional angst and made me feel like they mattered, I mattered.

Of course we should be thankful and avoid ungrateful grumbling - the Bible tells us to 'give thanks in all circumstances' and modern psychology has proven that thankfulness can improve our outlook and mental health. It also tells us "the joy of the Lord is our strength". Both of these things are different, though,  to forcing yourself to be happy, putting a brave face on it, just because our problems are differently- shaped to that of the person in the next pew (or row, if you go to a less traditional church, like mine).

I am a sensitive soul and may be judging this phrase more harshly than it deserves, but to me, it communicates: "I don't matter, my pain doesn't matter, I am pathetic even to mention it." In saying and feeling this, people are putting down, stifling, their own hardships and frustrations, which is rarely an effective way to move forward.  When my precious friends let this phrase fall, indiscriminately, from their lips, I just want to hug them and hold them and remind them: your pain matters, your journey matters; you are precious to a God who counts all your tears, whatever has driven you to them.  He cares. He walks with you through it. Wholeness and peace is found in Him alone.  The Psalmist declares, “With my God, I can scale a wall.” That remains true, whether what we need the strength to scale is a four-foot garden fence or a towering, barbed-wire-topped prison wall. Whatever the size, whatever the height, God is cheering you on as you commence the climb. I will be cheering you on too, if you choose to share your struggles – as long as you promise not to tell me they're ‘nothing’ in any ‘great scheme!’

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Facing Hard Things

All of us, at some point in life, will face hard things.   And by hard, I mean life-sapping, crushing, painful-beyond-imagining, hard things.   At times like these, we can look around at others, feeling bitter and angry that life’s cruel lottery has dealt us this hand and others, one that makes much better reading on Facebook.   I faced a hard thing, when my daughter, Grace, was still born at 25 weeks of pregnancy.   The road I’ve walked since has been one of doubt, hesitancy, small steps, more questions, moving forward, moving backwards, moving forward again and getting to a place of fragile healing. I was not naïve enough to think this would be my lifetime supply of ‘hard things’ and sure enough, more have come knocking – pounding down the door, in fact – in recent weeks.   None of the ‘hard things’ are yet my story to tell; they are bound up and interwoven with the lives of others, whose confidence I will not break.   It will suffice to say they are hard, life-stripping, a

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday