Skip to main content

Breathe in and store it in your soul!



I tend to over-plan in the summer holidays. If you are a parent of two small boys (or any make of small child, in fact) you will understand why. Too long in the confines of a small house and garden, and they become wrestling maniacs, jumping on top of each other, performing stunts on the trampoline and generally looking as if we might have to visit A&E at any moment. However, this year, I have tried to leave more time free, more moments to chill, and more opportunities (as the current trend advises) for them to experience boredom and find entertainment for themselves.  I love a great plan and an itinerary for an organised day out – but I’m learning to embrace the unscripted bits too and the moments of brilliance they generate.

I enjoy posting on social media, almost as much as I enjoy a good itinerary - particularly because we have family in far flung countries who love to keep track of our children's antics. Facebook, though, is only good for the highlights, the ‘photographic’ moments.  I am beginning to understand that, sometimes, the best memories are the ones that cannot be captured on camera or crafted into a social media status.  As a wise friend once said, there are some moments that you can only “breathe in and store in your soul.”

With that in mind, this is my alternative attempt to recall and record some of the memories that didn't make it onto Facebook this summer, but are well worth noting and remembering for years to come.

My first, and probably my favourite memory, is a conversation I had with my 6-year-old, on our way home from shopping, in the car. He is inquisitive and always asking a multitude of questions about every topic you can imagine. On this particular day, he wanted to know about Adam and Eve.  Bearing in mind that our children, at 6 and 9, know the very basics of the ‘facts of life’ because of questions asked in the past, the following conversation ensued:

Small son: So, were Adam and Eve never babies then?
Me: No, God created them as adults.
Small son: Oh. How did they get their own babies then?
Me: Err...how everyone gets babies...we've had this conversation!
Small son: WHAT?!! They did the sex?! But they were CHRISTIANS!!
I tried really hard to right his misunderstanding that the two things were mutually exclusive - but it was tricky to do so whilst suppressing a huge giggle!

Memorable moment number two was ‘the incident of the cartwheel.’ On one of our first few days away on holiday, my oldest son was suffering with tonsillitis. Passing time while my husband took him into the local doctor, my youngest son and I headed for a nearby park. He loves gymnastics and began trying to master all sorts of manoeuvres, which I watched enthusiastically from a bench. Moments later, unable to resist a challenge, I informed him that I used to be quite good at doing cartwheels and could probably still pull one off. Worried I might be next in line to see the doctor with something sprained, I cleared my throat nervously and gave it my best shot. It was actually quite a good attempt! I looked around to see what my son thought of it and heard a gasping intake of breath as he clapped his hand over his mouth in stunned shock. He had truly underestimated his old Mum and I had evidently gone up considerably in his estimation. He spent the rest of the holiday begging me to repeat the feat. I declined, convinced that once was risky enough! I will never forget the look on his face.

My third favourite moment was when a spontaneous song broke out around the dinner table. It was the end of the holiday and there was a variety of random puddings on offer, to be used up before our departure the next day. The boys chose an Oreo ice cream. Further options were a selection of brilliantly named ‘Nobbly Bobbly’ lollies, as well as some slightly limp strawberries. One of my boys began to chant "Oreo" with a degree of rhyme and rhythm. My friend's husband seized the moment and turned the song into a round, singing “nobbly bobbly, nobbly bobbly,” over and over to join with the rhythm. My husband, not wishing to miss his opportunity for stardom, entered with the bass beat of “strawberries yum, strawberries yum!” This continued for some time until we all dissolved into laughter. It was the silliest of moments, but one I'm sure they will remember. The song has been sung ceaselessly since – even on the ferry home.  Not embarrassing at all!


Family life is hectic and hard work. There are many sad, hard and trying bits.  But the echoes of these moments, will spur us through the harder parts and I am so grateful to God for them.  Although they will be archived, unphotographed, in the vault of memory, they will still, hopefully, be verbally dusted off sometimes and chuckled over occasionally, as they become part of the unique narrative of our precious family life together.

Comments

  1. Love it. Those memories are truly priceless - I wish I could have seen the cartwheel!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Facing Hard Things

All of us, at some point in life, will face hard things.   And by hard, I mean life-sapping, crushing, painful-beyond-imagining, hard things.   At times like these, we can look around at others, feeling bitter and angry that life’s cruel lottery has dealt us this hand and others, one that makes much better reading on Facebook.   I faced a hard thing, when my daughter, Grace, was still born at 25 weeks of pregnancy.   The road I’ve walked since has been one of doubt, hesitancy, small steps, more questions, moving forward, moving backwards, moving forward again and getting to a place of fragile healing. I was not naïve enough to think this would be my lifetime supply of ‘hard things’ and sure enough, more have come knocking – pounding down the door, in fact – in recent weeks.   None of the ‘hard things’ are yet my story to tell; they are bound up and interwoven with the lives of others, whose confidence I will not break.   It will suffice to say they are hard, life-stripping, a