Skip to main content

Farewell, Bec

Today was probably the hardest day in all our lives. Bec passed away two and a half weeks ago now, after a brave and tumultuous six months, since her cancer re-diagnosis.  We have already begun to grieve and say goodbye, but a funeral always feels like the real end. It has felt a long time coming. It has been a tough six months for us all, as a family, and we want to thank anyone who has done or said any small thing to ease our burden on this difficult journey.

Below is a photo I love and a poem I wrote for the funeral. I love this photo. There is so much more I could say, and I probably will, as time goes on, but this is all I can manage for now. The photo was taken on an evening in a week when it was all getting on top of Bec. It was a Sunday night.  While Martin bathed the children, we talked and talked and cried and cried. We talked about heaven and dying, her fears of being forgotten, my promise never to ever let that happen.  I told her I would still be hoping and praying for a different outcome, right to the end and I was.  I hope my words brought her some comfort.  Then the children’s bath was over and Rose came down and put some plastic glasses on Arthur and we laughed and laughed.  The ordinary and precious, triumphing over the tragic for a moment.  We will hold onto many more of these moments to carry us through.


I love the photo, beyond words, because it is Bec with her babies, looking natural and ordinary - a Mummy, laughing, red-faced, through the tears.  Bec – and all of us – enjoying a precious, funny moment, despite the shadows that loomed.

Here is my tribute.  She leaves a gaping hole.


                 Sisters

I can’t remember life without a sister.
She just appeared, when I was two,
And I woke, confused,
On a January morning,
Hours later, delivering the infamous toddler line:
“When is the baby going home, Mummy?”

The bond grew,
Cemented by ordinary moments, childhood fun.
Saturday mornings with Dad –
Chaos reigned!
Clothes-horse tents and make-shift shelters,
All through the house;
Frantic tidying before Mum came home.
Arguments –
Dolls and ‘My Little Ponies’ – again?!
Can’t we play a board game now?!
Camping holidays,
Picking blackberries in the woods.
Sharing bunk beds,
Chatting and falling asleep to the sound of the other’s gentle snores.

Then older
And secrets and boyfriends and friends.
Her, home alone,
While I went to study,
Sending her postcards, which she kept longer than I knew.

Sisters apart,
Separate,
But with a love that binds.

Each of us, bursting with pride,
As bridesmaids in different colours,
At weddings five years apart.
Both staying up
Through tiring nights and drawn-out days,
Awaiting the news of beautiful babies born.
And hugging and crying and holding each other,
In times when reality hit
And our lives took paths
We didn’t plan.

There should be more.
We should be looking forward –
To new schools as our children grow,
To bemoaning turning forty,
Shopping for clothes
That fit our aging frames,
Laughing at wrinkles
And exchanging ideas
About recipes and holiday plans.
Later, weddings and grandchildren.
This will not be our experience now.

I will miss the ordinary, precious moments,
Just being and chatting and laughing.
I will miss the special, memorable moments,
Birthdays, Christmases, days out.

I will miss being next to you,
In the moments we will now never have.
But I will hold you in my heart,
Imagining you with us,
Imagining your presence, your voice.
I will look at photos
With sadness and gladness,
Tears in my eyes for what’s lost,
But joy in my heart,
As I remember, with gratitude,
All that you were.

I had a sister.
The past tense hurts.

I’m thankful for all we’ve been
And all we’ve seen
And all we’ve done
And all you’ve left behind.
And I know, one day,
When I become past tense too,
We’ll be together again.
And we’ll sit by a crystal sea,
Listening to the waves
Lap gently on the shore,
And we’ll smile and hug
And catch up for all eternity.
And the pain and longing and loss
Will feel like a hiccup in history.

But, for now, I ache and long
And take stumbling steps
And trust God
To heal the hurt
And piece my heart back together
And fill it with thankfulness
For all you were
And all you’ll continue to be.

Sisters apart,
Separate,
But with a love that binds,
Forever.

Comments

  1. Your poem made me cry, Georgie, and I didn't even know her. I've been praying for you today, and will continue to do so. Take care of yourself, and God bless, Philip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgie, I love this, especially that last verse. You have pinned something beautiful to the page with your poetry. I'm so sorry for your loss... Keep the memories warm in your heart. They're yours forever. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! You truly have such a precious gift as a writer, Georgie, and I'm thankful that your sister had you in her life and you had her. I also believe that you both made God smile, beam, guffaw and cry with pride at your adventures and antics. I can picture you both, reuniting in Heaven and chasing each other to God's open arms. You may have already come across it but if not then can I recommend this amazing book on Heaven by Randy Alcorn. https://amzn.to/2rWKjOO. I hope it helps. Looking forward to meeting you at Scargill. God bless, Martin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Facing Hard Things

All of us, at some point in life, will face hard things.   And by hard, I mean life-sapping, crushing, painful-beyond-imagining, hard things.   At times like these, we can look around at others, feeling bitter and angry that life’s cruel lottery has dealt us this hand and others, one that makes much better reading on Facebook.   I faced a hard thing, when my daughter, Grace, was still born at 25 weeks of pregnancy.   The road I’ve walked since has been one of doubt, hesitancy, small steps, more questions, moving forward, moving backwards, moving forward again and getting to a place of fragile healing. I was not naïve enough to think this would be my lifetime supply of ‘hard things’ and sure enough, more have come knocking – pounding down the door, in fact – in recent weeks.   None of the ‘hard things’ are yet my story to tell; they are bound up and interwoven with the lives of others, whose confidence I will not break.   It will suffice to say they are hard, life-stripping, a

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday