Skip to main content

Light of the World - A Christmas Reflection

This year, I had the privilege of contributing a piece to a fantastic collection of pieces of writing about Advent and Christmas, published by the Association of Christian Writers.  It is an impressive collection, with over eighty contributors of pieces that range from reflections to stories and poems.  If you want to get yourself in a Christmassy mood, it's not too late to buy a copy on Kindle - follow this link to find out more!

Here is what I contributed:

Light of the World    


Christmas doesn’t always deliver what the big-budget advertisements promise – wholeness, togetherness, peace. Worse, if it delivers trauma, sadness and loss, it can be hard, in the years that follow, to raise any festive cheer at all.

I swell the ranks of the Christmas trauma-sufferers; my baby was born, without life or breath, in the season of sparkly lights and festive joy. Then, and in the years that have followed, it has been hard to rekindle a love for this incongruent season, as I’ve navigated the wilderness of loss and healing. Sometimes the pressure Christmas brings for joy and perfection swallows me up as I stand, staring back into the darkness I faced that year.

One thing I have learned to cling onto, over the years, is the Old Testament verse, foretelling Jesus’ coming: “The people walking in darkness see a bright light; light shines on those who live in a land of deep darkness.” (Isaiah 9v2, NET). He is the Light of the World; His light can drive out whatever darkness we find ourselves facing - past, present or future. I pray that He will ignite something this Advent season – a flicker to a flame, a flame to a roaring fire – to help you emerge from any personal ‘land of deep darkness’ you find yourself navigating.

 
When all colour has faded to dull monochrome,
Radiate,
Light of the World

When night comes too soon, and I’ve wandered from home,
Illuminate,
Light of the World

When shadows press in at the edge of my mind,
Dispel them
Light of the World.

When dawn is far off and hope hard to find,
Rise in me,
Light of the World.

When the gloom of the moment has stolen my song,
Permeate,
Light of the World.

When the dark overwhelms, and the night is too long,
Bring sunrise,
Light of the World.

Rekindle relight, re-ignite to a flame,
Incandescent,
Light of the World.

Blaze in the dark, ’til the world knows your name,
Unquenchable,
Light of the World.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday