Skip to main content

“I accidentally wrote a sonnet…”

“I accidentally wrote a sonnet,” I told my husband, when he returned from the swimming run last night.  He laughed, understandably. 

I hadn’t set out to write anything that evening – he had taken both boys swimming and I was supposed to be sorting washing, hoovering the house, getting things sorted for the working week ahead.  But I sat down, first, to read some sonnets a writer friend had sent through – and there it was – inspiration struck!

I haven’t written much about grief for a while.  Partly, I think, because it isn’t so raw now, so emotions don’t pour from the pen so readily.  There is, though, still so much I want to write about it – but I often don’t know where to start, or, scarier still, if I start, where it will end.


This is where the sonnet form came into its own.  The rhyme, rhythm and structural limits felt like they gave me the relative safety to explore some of my thoughts, whilst, at the same time, constraining them.  I couldn’t get carried away on a torrent of emotion, whilst I was trying to think of something that rhymed with ‘heal,’ or figuring out how to make a line run for one syllable less.  When I reached line 14, that was it – no over-running of thoughts, no emotional puddle at the end.  I found the whole process cathartic and enjoyable.

So anyway – enough rambling in praise of the accidental sonnet.  Here it is (and if Shakespeare and Elizabeth Barrett-Browning can give numbers as their titles, I feel entirely justified in not giving it an imaginative title either!):

Sonnet About Grief

Translucent scars can only part-conceal
My gaping wounds; beneath the scars they smart.
Why is it that it takes so long to heal
The wounds that are inflicted on the heart?
Just as the gentle breezes turn the tide,
And overwhelming swells, at last, retreat,
Another breaker surges from the side,
And knocks me, yet again, clean off my feet.
Snippets of conversations, overheard,
A thank you note, forgotten, in a drawer;
A scent, a place, a dormant memory stirred –
And breakers crash on grief’s hard sands once more.
Recalling how you loved me keeps me brave;
I learn to ride, not fight, each crashing wave.

Comments

  1. This is not just a sonnet. This is a PERFECT sonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic. The form has really brought out your skill. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lady are ....WOW...just amazing. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was wonderful, beautiful and powerful, especially this line
    A thank you note, forgotten, in a drawer; you have a real ability to touch the heart with your words. Well done, especially as there was you saying 'that you hear that mocking voice saying you can't write!'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday