Skip to main content

Ten Years On


After our daughter Grace was stillborn, at 25 weeks of pregnancy, a midwife came to visit to check how we were doing.  I told her of our plans, for me to take the “maternity leave” that I was still entitled to, to spend time with our son, then 19 months.  Her reply took me aback – “I know it might not feel that way, but consider that time Grace’s gift to you,” she said.  Truthfully, I wanted to poke her in the eye at the time, finding it impossible to see any good in the loss we had just experienced.


Over the years, though, as the jagged edges of grief have softened and healed, I understand more, now, what she meant.  Losing Grace was one of the hardest things I have been through – but, ten years on, I can see that she has left many gifts for us in her wake.  I had a year, enjoying time with Ben, before Samuel came along.  I have a wonderful, second son, our rainbow baby who followed Grace here.  Her loss has enabled me to connect so much more with others in their struggles and losses.  In our marriage, we’ve learned to lean on each other and fight for each other.  In our family life, we value the small things, knowing how fragile they are.  I’ve learned how God holds onto us through the darkest of nights, and that hope can be a light for others.

Those are just a few examples of things I am grateful Grace brought us.  Ten years on, with much support and prayer, the pain of her loss stings less.  It still hurts, but not as acutely.  I can celebrate her and all she brought into our lives and look forward to a day when I get to celebrate with her, in person. 


I like to write something, each year, for Grace. I tried to write her a sonnet this year.  I’m not sure I succeeded, but it is at least something I can still attempt to do for my baby girl, on her tenth birthday.

As always, a heartfelt thank you to all who take time to read this, for your on-going interest, love and support.


Grace

Though grief’s once jagged edges aren’t as raw,
The memories that surface still cause pain.
The earth has travelled round the sun once more,
So forcing me to face this once again.
Decembers past, the echoes of your birth,
Resounded loud and were too hard to bear.
But deeper peace, ten years has helped unearth,
With love and tears and counselling and prayer.
Instead of pain and sadness from that night,
I think of you, a girl so full of joys,
You twirl and dance, enjoying heav’n’s delights,
With friends just like you, perfect girls and boys.
God’s perfect gift, awaiting us, above –
Looked forward to, with gratitude and love.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

The Birthday Cake

September contains, in quick succession, the anniversary of my sister's death, closely followed by my niece's birthday.  This year inspired me to write a poem, kind of commemorating both.  Making my niece a cake has been a painful privilege each year - I'm glad I could do it for her, whilst, at the same time, it underlines, afresh, the missing person who would make it for her, before.  This year I didn't actually make the cake, as her Daddy has become a cake-master, but, for poetic licence in the poem, I did!   Anyway...here is the poem.  Enjoy...I think! The Birthday Cake Mummy made me a cake, once, in the shape of a dinosaur.   Its long, fondant-icing neck, stretched to the edge of the board, bulbous and pink.   She had tears in her eyes, as she carried it in. The adults exchanged glances. One guffawed. Mummy giggled.   I wasn’t sure why, but I think they liked the cake very much and were proud of Mummy, as cakes weren’t rea