Skip to main content

Thought for the Week - Though the Waves Roll

This is my latest 'Thought for the Week,' which is about to appear in the Lynn News. Slightly cheating, as adapted from a much longer post ('Facing Hard Things') from a few months back! 

In other news, if you've missed it, I'm writing for the Association of Christian Writers now too, on the 18th of each month. If you've missed those posts and want to read them, they can be found here:

http://morethanwriters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/what-do-running-and-writing-have.html?m=1

http://morethanwriters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/nofilter-by-georgina-tennant.html?m=1

http://morethanwriters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/the-quest-for-words-by-georgie-tennant.html?m=1

Anyway... The 'Thought'. Enjoy and thanks, as always, for reading!... 




All of us, at some point in life, will face hard things.  And by hard, I mean life-sapping, crushing, painful-beyond-imagining things.  At these times, we can look around at others, feeling bitter that life’s cruel lottery has dealt us this hand and others, one that makes much better reading on Facebook.  I faced a hard thing, when my daughter, Grace, was still born at 25 weeks of pregnancy.  The road I’ve walked since has been one of doubt, hesitancy, small steps, questions, moving forwards, backwards and forwards again, to a place of fragile healing.

Something I have learned to cling to, to light my path through raging storms is that God is still God, He’s still good and He loves me.  These are the first certainties that go when trouble strikes.   “How could God…?” is the first question we ask.  I’ve read my share of books on the subject (I recommend Philip Yancey’s “Disappointment with God” and Jeff Lucas’ “Faith in the Fog”).  None of them answer the question fully.  They can’t.  Life and God will remain a mystery this side of eternity.  What I’ve settled on is this: we live in a fallen and decaying world.  Bad things happen because of this.  They are not orchestrated by a cruel God, arbitrarily doling out happiness to one, misery to another.  They just happen.  Sometimes God intervenes to change things. Sometimes He doesn’t.  What he does do, is grieve with me, walk beside me, count my tears, hear my soul-wrenching questions and doubts, comfort me like a mother and give me hope that, whatever happens, one, final day, it will all be more okay than I could even begin to imagine here and now.  When I take “God how could you…?” out of the equation, my path through the storm is lit in a way that it was not before.

 Storms will come and go.  We will all face difficult days and painful times.  But, from lessons learned through hard experiences, I can trust that my anchor will hold through them.  I know that, somehow or other, my God will guide me through.  I resonate with the new-testament writer, who expressed his confidence that he would be “hard pressed on every side but not crushed, perplexed but not in despair…struck down but not destroyed.” I know this has been (and is still) true for me and I pray that many others will find the value of clinging to a God who loves them, as the breakers roll.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Facing Hard Things

All of us, at some point in life, will face hard things.   And by hard, I mean life-sapping, crushing, painful-beyond-imagining, hard things.   At times like these, we can look around at others, feeling bitter and angry that life’s cruel lottery has dealt us this hand and others, one that makes much better reading on Facebook.   I faced a hard thing, when my daughter, Grace, was still born at 25 weeks of pregnancy.   The road I’ve walked since has been one of doubt, hesitancy, small steps, more questions, moving forward, moving backwards, moving forward again and getting to a place of fragile healing. I was not naïve enough to think this would be my lifetime supply of ‘hard things’ and sure enough, more have come knocking – pounding down the door, in fact – in recent weeks.   None of the ‘hard things’ are yet my story to tell; they are bound up and interwoven with the lives of others, whose confidence I will not break.   It will suffice to say they are hard, life-stripping, a