Skip to main content

Clumsy Remembrance

My daughter was stillborn at 25 weeks of pregnancy, over the Christmas period, eight years ago. I find it so hard to commemorate her adequately, each year, amidst the bustle and chaos of the festive season.

When I began to see a counsellor, two years ago, he suggested commemorating her at other times in the year, to help relieve the pressure to remember her well at Christmas - not  a season commensurate with stillness and reflection. Her 'due date', the 8th of April, seemed like a good time to do this.

We all know that very few babies put in an appearance on their due date (one of mine hung on in for a full fourteen days extra, one was coaxed out at three days overdue), so this date can feel arbitrary, but gives me something to focus on, somewhere to hang my thoughts and my grief. 

So today was the third time I purchased a balloon, the second attempt at releasing it (more on that in a minute).  In three years of trying this out, I've noticed some frustrating patterns of thoughts and emotions each time I have chosen to remember her in this way.

First, I deliberate about whether I should be doing it at all: is it self-indulgent, weak, a sure confirmation that I haven't 'moved on' as far as I should have? 

Then, I reason it out with my husband or a friend, articulating each time that 'it feels a bit much…she might not have been born today anyway.' Why do we feel that need to minimise, apologise, dumb down, explain away?

Eventually, I approach a balloon counter in a card store, somewhere, heart pounding, praying for a surly assistant who won't ask me who it's for, how old she is. No one has asked yet, and I'm still unsure which of three or four rehearsed lines I might deliver in the heat of that imagined awkward moment, if it ever happens.

The first year, I had her named inked onto a purple helium balloon in scrawled letters. It felt strange to walk through our town with such a real, concrete reminder of her existence bobbing in the breeze beside me. I released it, alone, over the fields at the edge of our village, crying as it flew higher and higher, up out of reach, lost in the poignant symbolism.

Last year I decided to involve my two children, then 8 and 6.  I bought a pink, heart-shaped balloon this time, planning to release it in the same way.  My youngest, however, surprised me - under no circumstances did he want me to release that balloon. It reminded HIM of his sister and he wasn't sending it flying off to who-knows-where, thank you very much!

So it floated around my house for a few weeks and, although I didn't get to commemorate and remember as I had planned, it was a touching (and very pink and shiny!) reminder that she is not just mine to celebrate. That made my heart glad in a different way. She is all of ours. Her short life meant something. Her legacy is on-going. I celebrate that.
This year, after walking through some more major loss and heart break, I wasn't sure I could face it again.  Feeling deflated and flat, I gave into the tugs on my heart that told me I should do it still, and sneaked a balloon into the car boot with the Morrisons shop, not wanting to risk a repeat of last year. I slipped out alone to the same spot, enjoying the pathetic fallacy provided for the moment; the grey drizzle matched my mood.  I let the balloon dance in the wind, photographing it, before letting it go, speaking her name, telling her she is loved and remembered still.  I gave thanks for her short life and imagined her, curled up, smiling, on the lap of her heavenly father, reaching out to catch my gift as it floated by.
 The sadness remained, but I am glad I pushed through the awkwardness and 'too-hard-ness' and did it again. It's a challenge every year to rise above the shoulds and shouldn'ts and fears about what people think - what I think myself.  I would tell others to commemorate their loved ones as often as they liked, however they liked, so why is it so hard to allow myself to do the same? Perhaps one day, I will be comfortable with my own grief, let it out in whatever ways help. Until then I'll keep striving to remember, be kind to myself, keep talking, keep praying. They're the only ways forward to a sturdier place of healing and peace. 

Comments

  1. This is beautiful Georgie. And a real tear-jerker (I'm snivelling and dabbing my tears as I type). Absolutely you SHOULD! Ignore the SHOULD NOTS.

    Yesterday I saw an idiotic tweet on Facebook telling Simon Thomas (Christian, Sky presenter, lost his wife in Nov, 3 days after cancer diagnosis, leaving him and their 8yo son) he should get off Twitter while he was grieving and man up. Or something. Lots of replies as you can imagine, but one which stuck out was that actually Twitter was capable of providing a very supportive community during these times, and another which said that Simon should do whatever he feels is right and helpful for him and his son. Clearly Twitter, for him, has been a support and a help, so it seems right that he should keep reaching out on there. (Amazingly, it has even offered a way of him ministering to others, through his deep grief, as I - and many others - wouldn't have heard his story had he not shared it on Twitter. His blog posts are so honest and beyond sad, but also full of faith and hope - no doubt an incredible witness to all the many other Sky and TV colleagues who are reading them and don't yet share his faith.)

    A friend who lost her son at 21 to heroin, always displays flowers (lilies, I think) in her hall. She wrote a book about losing her son, and in it I remember she said how this seems like an extravagance, to have flowers displayed constantly (being Christians, hubbie is a vicar, money not abundant, etc), but that, to her, it's an important reminder of her boy, and his memory remaining in their lives and in their home.

    Likewise, your balloon is important to you as you grieve the loss of the baby girl who you will one day see again, but will never know the joy of parenting. You go for it, and know that you have the support of others who grieve their losses, or support those who do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very real and heart stirring share Georgina. Thank you for letting us into your grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are a wonderful writer, Georgie. This line expressed it so well, 'I gave into the tugs on my heart.', I loved what your son said too, so sweet and lovely. It sounds like you are moving on wonderfully and helping many others at the same time. God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arrrgh, those shoulds and shouldn'ts, always at our backs. Keep keeping on, Georgie. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So moving, what a lovely way to commemorate your beautiful daughter.We all grieve as we need to and it is not for anyone else to tell each of us how. God bless you and your very special family🙏

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lovely . Very moving and beautifully written , Georgie. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Facing Hard Things

All of us, at some point in life, will face hard things.   And by hard, I mean life-sapping, crushing, painful-beyond-imagining, hard things.   At times like these, we can look around at others, feeling bitter and angry that life’s cruel lottery has dealt us this hand and others, one that makes much better reading on Facebook.   I faced a hard thing, when my daughter, Grace, was still born at 25 weeks of pregnancy.   The road I’ve walked since has been one of doubt, hesitancy, small steps, more questions, moving forward, moving backwards, moving forward again and getting to a place of fragile healing. I was not naïve enough to think this would be my lifetime supply of ‘hard things’ and sure enough, more have come knocking – pounding down the door, in fact – in recent weeks.   None of the ‘hard things’ are yet my story to tell; they are bound up and interwoven with the lives of others, whose confidence I will not break.   It will suffice to say they are hard, life-stripping, a