Skip to main content

When Words Fail...

I wanted to write something for Bec’s anniversary.  Something moving and thoughtful and profound to commemorate her in a fitting way.  Something epic to reflect the enormity of the gap she has left.  Something comic to represent the humour she always brought to a situation.

But my heart won’t let me, this year.  My fingers can’t type all the thoughts in my head.  My heart can’t withstand the tsunami of emotion that breaks if I try to form words and sentences in poetry or prose.

I want to write her a letter, a poem, a song, an article about surviving grief, a reflection on being the only one left now, with no sibling to recall our shared history.  But I can’t.  Not now.  Not this year.

All I can do is look through photographs and smile and cry and remember what we had and regret what we don’t have now.  All I can do is try to join the dots and connect some of the jigsaw puzzle pieces that fall between the photographs.  The memories of blackberry picking and whispered shared-room conversations and showing-me-a-picture-of-the-new-boyfriend behind the scarves in Primark so Mum wouldn’t see.  And waiting by my phone for news of births and waiting by your bed for your final breath.  

I am greedy for more.  More memories –but they swirl and disperse like mist, not quite graspable.  I wish I could tie them down, remember properly the ordinary nights and the small-talk conversations that I could take so for granted then.  And more photographs – this hurts more.  That there will never be any more.  What I have in the archives is all there will ever be now.  I scour through them like a treasure hunter, searching for one last haul among the treasure he has sifted  a hundred times, hoping to catch a glimpse of her, an angle I haven’t seen before, her there,  in the background, smiling or yawning.  Her from angles she would be furious with me for posting on social media.  Why do we place so much value on photo-shopped perfection?  My favourites have laughter lines and double chins.  Skewed hats and dreadful hair.  I stash them hungrily and will always be searching for more.

I can’t write this year.  But I hope the photos will say the words I can’t.  Loved and missed.  More now than ever.  Two years now.  Unreal.

                      
Sharing giggles whilst she cuddled her first nephew

Mocking me, as she often did - this time about my hat!



Laughing at silly, family antics

Standard Christmas scene - excited child, yawning grandparents


An annual tradition - wearing our Christmas stockings

Auntie - Nephew snuggles


A very rare and precious shot of her with her beautiful boy, a selfie, sent to me on What's App

Rebecca Wright. 4th January 1982-24th September 2017
💕💕































Comments

  1. Oh Georgie - my heart breaks for you. Praying and sending much love on this sad anniversary xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday