Skip to main content

The Birthday Cake

September contains, in quick succession, the anniversary of my sister's death, closely followed by my niece's birthday.  This year inspired me to write a poem, kind of commemorating both. 

Making my niece a cake has been a painful privilege each year - I'm glad I could do it for her, whilst, at the same time, it underlines, afresh, the missing person who would make it for her, before.  This year I didn't actually make the cake, as her Daddy has become a cake-master, but, for poetic licence in the poem, I did!  

Anyway...here is the poem.  Enjoy...I think!

The Birthday Cake

Mummy

made me a cake,

once,

in the shape of a dinosaur.

 

Its long, fondant-icing neck,

stretched

to the edge of the board,

bulbous and pink.

 

She had tears in her eyes,

as she carried it in.

The adults exchanged glances.

One guffawed.

Mummy giggled.

 

I wasn’t sure why,

but I think they

liked the cake very much

and were proud

of Mummy,

as cakes weren’t really her thing.

 

I remember it,

because I asked for it

and she made it.

I felt happy

in the warm glow

from the candles

and from her smile.

 

One year,

my Auntie

had to make my cake instead.

Mummy

couldn’t make cakes any more.

I asked for chocolate cake

with chocolate buttons

and my Auntie

spread them

all across the cake,

and joined some together,

in the shape of a

six,

for me.

 

The adults’ eyes

Had tears in  this time, too.

They sang

And I blew out

Six candles.

 

I think it had

only been six days,

that birthday,

since Mummy had to go,

so there wasn’t

much warmth

from smiles or candles,

though the adults did their best

and my Auntie’s cake

tasted good.

 

I had nine candles,

this year.

Each year,

my Auntie asks me

and I say the same –

chocolate cake

with chocolate buttons.

 

When my Auntie

carries in the cake,

candles dancing,

we look,

each into the other’s eyes

and smile.

 

I sometimes think

she’s remembering

Mummy,

and I am too,

and we both understand,

somehow,

 

that we’re each searching,

for that expression,

that reflection,

that glimmer

of the eyes

that shared DNA,

that makes us both

a little bit like

her,

 

so that we both feel

that she’s still with us,

somehow,

laughing,

as the candle flames dance,

like she did at the dinosaur cake,

 

marking with us,

somewhere,

the passing

of another year.


My niece with one of my cakes

The famous dinosaur cake!
                             






Comments

  1. Oh Georgie, so beautiful and heart-breaking. Thank you for being brave enough to share this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just so beautiful and tender and stunningly written. It comes straight from the heart, as much of your writing does, Georgie, which is partly why it's always so powerful. Thank you for sharing this xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this, Georgie. Moving and beautiful. The moment when they look into each others eyes is the moment that most stands out to me, and the 'shared DNA.' Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dearest Bec

Dearest Bec I can’t believe it’s your birthday and you are not here.  Every year, I rush into town, straight after Christmas, to hit the sales and buy you something you don’t really need – not your fault you were born straight after Christmas and, after all, every girl always needs more earrings, notepads, belts, recipe books.  I can’t even remember what I bought you last year, as it was such an ‘ordinary’ thing – It didn’t feel momentous or unusual, just a sister, giving her little sister her annual birthday gift. How would I have ever guessed it would be the last one I would buy for you? I’m not sure how to cope this week as, instead of eating cake together, we scatter your ashes.  I’m not sure how you continue with normal life, go to work, talk with friends, in a week like this.  I am trying to distract myself with memories filled with you, to remind myself that I will always have these, even if I no longer have you.  So here are my favourite pictures, sifted from the many

Remembering Grace Again

Remembering Grace Again Grace's 'birthday' comes around so quickly. Although it's now seven years ago, the unfolding narrative of that week still plays through my mind when the anniversary comes around. Each year is different and this year I feel further forward, more healed and whole than before. Rather than being on a roller coaster of emotion as it plays out, it feels more like watching an old cine film - a bit more distanced, with the volume turned down. Still there, still sad to watch but less painful, less debilitating. Professional support in moving forward (EMDR - a recognised and highly successful approach to dealing with trauma) has played a huge part in that and I would recommend it for anyone struggling with difficult, traumatic memories. The journey and ups and downs of this year are too much and too personal to write about in detail here, but I am always happy to talk further with anyone who wants to know more. Facing and dealing with traum

Easter Saturday Living; Waiting for Sunday to Come

Easter Sunday; a strange thought this year. Celebrating the impermanence of death when it feels permanent and heavy right now to those of us left here, in her wake. Celebrating hope, light and victory when those things still feel a long way away on the hard days and the dark days, when grief wraps its bindweed more tightly. Celebrating a God for whom nothing is impossible, yet we did not see our impossible become possible. Joining in with dancing and joy when tears are more my currency. It's easier to face Good Friday. I can relate to a tortured and suffering saviour. He gets it. He's walking it with me. I dwell comfortably in Easter Saturday when hope lay dormant and sadness took hold. I belong with the exhausted disciples and the women overcome with emotion and grief. I'm not at all sure I am ready for Easter Sunday. Dancing, rejoicing, all-things-come-good. I will stand there one day, feeling it more convincingly.  But for now my life is Friday-Saturday